Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Utd ForumFerguson: I almost quit football EmptyHomeGalleryLatest imagesRulesSearchFerguson: I almost quit football EmptyNew PostsFerguson: I almost quit football EmptyRegisterFerguson: I almost quit football EmptyLog in

Share | 

Ferguson: I almost quit football

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

Ferguson: I almost quit football _
PostSubject: Ferguson: I almost quit football   Ferguson: I almost quit football Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed he almost quit football as a player as he came close to emigrating to Canada.
[Teamtalk.com]

Ferguson, 68, may be the most successful British manager of all time but back in the 1960s he was struggling to make his mark as centre-forward with St Johnstone. He was considering packing it all in before having a change of heart after harsh words from his mother. He responded with a "life-changing" hat-trick against Rangers. Ferguson said: "I was part-time and in a reserve game against Airdrie I broke my eyebrow, cheekbone and nose and was out for months. They put this massive plaster cast on my face.

"After I came back from the injury I played three reserve games. We lost 8-1, 7-0 and 9-2. I said 'that's it - I am finished'. I took out papers to emigrate to Canada. "On the Friday, my brother's girlfriend phoned up my manager at St Johnstone and told him I had the flu. But when I arrived home from a night at the swimming baths with my pals, my mother tore into me.

"She said, 'I've had a telegram from your manager - get down to the telephone booth and call him'. The manager said: 'Report to the Bath Hotel tomorrow, you're playing against Rangers'.

"I scored a hat trick and became the first player to do so against Rangers at Ibrox - it changed my life. I became a full-time footballer in the summer and never looked back." Ferguson, who related the story to students in Glasgow with his remarks posted on United's website also gave an insight into how football has changed.

He is in his 24th year at Old Trafford and has won over 30 trophies, including 11 Premier League titles and two European Cups. United, who are looking to make it an unprecedented four successive Premier League crowns, are at home to struggling Portsmouth on Saturday.

Ferguson is as driven as ever but is not certain many share his undying love for the game. He said: "Young players now are more fragile, they are more cocooned. They are encouraged by an insatiable press to think they are better than they really are, and they are protected by their agents.
"But you have to deal with that in sport now. You have to be very conciliatory."

-----------------------------
Thank fuck his mother told him not to!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joinmust.org/
Vishal16
Doesn't like his tagline messed around with
Vishal16

Ferguson: I almost quit football _
PostSubject: Re: Ferguson: I almost quit football   Ferguson: I almost quit football Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:00 pm

worried
Close call.
What if he would have quit back then?
wacko
help

Fucking hell he didnt manc1 manc2
Back to top Go down

Ferguson: I almost quit football

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum  :: Football :: Manchester United-