Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Utd ForumWayne Bridge withdraws from England selection EmptyHomeGalleryLatest imagesRulesSearchWayne Bridge withdraws from England selection EmptyNew PostsWayne Bridge withdraws from England selection EmptyRegisterWayne Bridge withdraws from England selection EmptyLog in

Share | 

Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection _
PostSubject: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge has announced he does not wish to be chosen for England duty, thereby ruling himself out of this summer's World Cup.

BBC Sport understands he is effectively retiring from the international scene.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Bridge, 29, said his position in the national squad had become "untenable and potentially divisive".

He has been in the spotlight over allegations that his ex-girlfriend had an affair with Chelsea's John Terry.

Terry was sacked as England captain by coach Fabio Capello earlier this month.

England face Egypt in a friendly at Wembley next Wednesday and despite reports earlier this week suggesting Bridge was considering his international future because he was unwilling to play alongside Terry, Capello believed he would be available for selection.

The Italian stated on Wednesday: "No, he will be with us. No problems about the other things."

However, Bridge's statement has shown the left-back remains troubled with the situation and read: "I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

"Sadly therefore, I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

"I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa."

With the World Cup less than four months away, Bridge's decision leaves Capello with a selection headache over England's left-back spot.

Chelsea's Ashley Cole is already sidelined with a broken ankle and is a doubt for the tournament.

England's opening match is against the United States on 12 June.

Aston Villa defenders Stephen Warnock and Nicky Shorey, Everton's Leighton Baines and Manchester City's Joleon Lescott are all possible replacements.

Bridge, who has played for England 36 times and recently returned from a two-month lay-off with a knee injury, was a team-mate of Terry's at Chelsea before joining Manchester City last year.

The pair are due to meet on the pitch for the first time since details of the alleged affair were made public when City visit Chelsea on Saturday.

Former England and Manchester City defender Danny Mills said it was unfair to make a hasty judgement on Bridge's decision and that such a scenario was not unusual in a World Cup year.

"Fortunately, it's all hypothetical and until we are faced with that situation we all like to say we would do this or do that but until we get down to having to make that decision, I don't think we can judge," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

"We have to respect Wayne and his decision. It's been difficult, it hasn't been easy but he's made that decision now and it's something everyone has to get on with.

"The country gets so excited when England are playing in a big tournament like the World Cup and that's always going to be the case.

"At club level you always have one or two injuries or issues but with the national squad it gets magnified. Every country will be the same, they will all have problems, it's just how you cope with them, how you deal with them."

In the wake of Terry losing the captaincy and recent headlines concerning Ashley Cole's separation from wife Cheryl, Capello revealed he would stress the importance of team spirit and personal discipline when he talks to his players ahead of the friendly with Egypt.

"The World Cup is really important for me, for England and for the players," the Italian explained. "We have to stay together and compact in every moment. I think this will be my most important job - to recreate this spirit.

"We will talk about a lot of things because four months is a long time. If you can meet the players every month it is different. We will have two days to stay together but they are very strong days."

BBC

Thought some England supporters here might be interested in this. Got to laugh at England rofl
Back to top Go down
http://www.joinmust.org/

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Retiring at 29? wacko
Back to top Go down
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 10:31 pm

saithereddevil wrote:
Retiring at 29? wacko

I'd have started a movement against John Terry and made the entire England National Team retire and play with under 21's if I was in Bridge's place. He turned out to be a pussy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joinmust.org/

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:18 pm

Fuck Bridge, He did turn out to be a pussy.
But then I dont blame him tongue

England will do just fine, better than if Bridge had been playing with Terry. It's no use getting another headbutt incident in a WC and that too within the same team.

We got Baines and Warnock to take over LB if Ashley doesn't recover.
Back to top Go down
http://www.navpreetsingh.co.cc

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Baines is good.
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

Location : Enter at your peril, Past the vaulted door Impossible things will happen That the World's never seen before. In Dexter's Laboratory Lives the smartest boy you've ever seen But Dee Dee blows his experiments To Smithereens! There's Gloom and Doom When Things go Boom In Dexter's Lab

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Yup. So is Warnock, didnt think much of him, but he proving himself at Villa.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Yeah.. Speaking of Villa, going to watch the match tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Yeah, for sure. Got permission from parents and all three-four days in advance.. asked them to watch the west ham match, they said no, so i got them to let me watch this one lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 pm

lol Good

I don't have Zee Sports doh

Will have to stream
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:47 pm

And yeah, once your boards are over, tell me. I want to kick your ass in Fifa shifty tongue
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Aww.. I do have Z Sports, but its only useful as long as the dickheads at Z do show the final and dont go fucking around like last time.. :|
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:49 pm

saithereddevil wrote:
And yeah, once your boards are over, tell me. I want to kick your ass in Fifa shifty tongue

You wont be able to. I am superb At FIFA.

PS: I play FIFA 10 these days - deleted FIFA 09. (got the game to work by applying graphic patches - now it works brilliantly enough. )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Hmm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Navpreet wrote:

PS: I play FIFA 10 these days - deleted FIFA 09. (got the game to work by applying graphic patches - now it works brilliantly enough. )

Me too. I quit 09. Just FIFA 10. shifty
Back to top Go down
Navpreet
The Forum Techie

Navpreet

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Awesamosa!
Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Samosa

Will definitely play after exams. wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Yup. wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection   Wayne Bridge withdraws from England selection Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum  :: Football :: General Football-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com