Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man Utd ForumWeirdest Footballing Superstitions EmptyHomeGalleryLatest imagesRulesSearchWeirdest Footballing Superstitions EmptyNew PostsWeirdest Footballing Superstitions EmptyRegisterWeirdest Footballing Superstitions EmptyLog in

Share | 

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions _
PostSubject: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:48 am

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 1_238110
Midlands Portland Cement
In October last year, the players for Zimbabwe's Midlands Portland Cement side were ordered into the crocodile-infested Zambezi by their coach for a spot of ritual cleansing, intended to banish bad spirits. Seventeen went in; 16 came out. And they lost their next match.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 2_238110
Chris Waddle
Chris Waddle cheerfully admitted to having more superstitions than he's had bad haircuts. He wore the same underpants throughout Newcastle's 1983 promotion-winning season (washed each time, thank goodness) and during the 1986-87 season didn't shave until Spurs lost (which in those days was quite a long time) and ended up with a mass of hard stubble which took two days to shave off.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 3_238110
Malvin Kamara
The former Huddersfield midfielder is currently without a club, but while that means he has his Saturday afternoons free, he will also have a couple of spare hours in the morning too. Kamara insisted on watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory before every game, claiming that it got him in the right mood for the challenge ahead. He may be without logic, but not without taste: "That is the original Gene Wilder version I'm talking about though, the Johnny Depp one just offends me."

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 4_238110
Sergio Goycochea
The Argentina goalkeeper had the odd habit of urinating on the pitch before facing a penalty. He did this once before saving a penalty and kept up the tradition for the rest of his career. "It was my lucky charm and I went before every shoot out," he said. "I was very subtle, nobody complained."

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 5_238110
David Fairclough
Liverpool's 1970s red-haired "Super Sub" used to wash his hands four times before every game, and also put his shorts on last. He can't remember how the habit started, but he does remember being mortified when spotted sporting his shorts back to front during a Cup tie against Southend.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 6_238110
John Terry
The England captain has confessed to 'around 50' different superstitions, including listening to the same Usher CD in his car, to parking in the same space at Chelsea's training ground, to sitting on the same seat on the team bus, the longest lasting was the fact that he wore the same pair of shinpads for ten years ? for the length of his professional career, until he lost them after an acrimonious Champions League tie with Barcelona in 2005. "Those shin-pads had got me to where I was in the game," the centre half said in the midst of his mourning.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 7_238110
Paul Ince
The habit of being last has long been engrained in dressing room rituals, the most famous recent example being Paul Ince who was always being the last player on his team to run out onto the pitch, and the last to put on his shirt. Kevin Keegan, too, would put his shirt on last, while Jack Charlton would be last out of the dressing room and Stan Bowles would be the last onto the pitch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joinmust.org/
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am

Continued........

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 8_238110
Laurent Blanc
The French centre-half led France to their 1998 World Cup victory with the power of a kiss. On the pitch, before each match, Blanc would bestow a kiss on the bald head of goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, even doing so before the final, for which he had been banned for a (very harsh) sending off in the semi-final.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 9_238110
Stuart Pearce
When Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce began the 2006 season rather poorly, his seven-year-old daughter, Chelsea, was quick to offer her small stuffed horse Beanie for support. Beanie joined the man known as 'Psycho' in the technical area, watching a 2-0 win over West Ham: "It's difficult explaining to a seven-year-old that this is the Premiership and I'm known as 'Psycho'. I had to put all that to one side and be the family man." Beanie kept his place til a 4-0 loss to Wigan.

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 10_23810
Gary Lineker
The former Spurs, Barcelona and England striker would never take a shot at goal during the pre-match warm ups because he didn't want to waste a goal. If he didn't manage to score in the first half he would change his shirt. If the bad run extended, and he was failing to score, he would be forced to resort to getting a haircut.
Back to top Go down
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 11:53 am

Rahul wrote:
Sergio Goycochea
The Argentina goalkeeper had the odd habit of urinating on the pitch before facing a penalty. He did this once before saving a penalty and kept up the tradition for the rest of his career. "It was my lucky charm and I went before every shoot out," he said. "I was very subtle, nobody complained."

The best one rofl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 3:33 pm

Rahul wrote:
Rahul wrote:
Sergio Goycochea

The best one rofl

Yeah rofl
Back to top Go down
Vishal16
Doesn't like his tagline messed around with
Vishal16

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Look at Terry's face laugh
Back to top Go down
Rahul
Stupid and Annoying

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Which face are you talking about?

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 080209_terry_516x300_26660a

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions 832c34cc5c33d4a8b0e25eb45f07fd1e
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 pm

rofl the second one is bloody brilliant biggrin
Back to top Go down
Vishal16
Doesn't like his tagline messed around with
Vishal16

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 1:04 am

The 1st one is ultimate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weirdest Footballing Superstitions   Weirdest Footballing Superstitions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weirdest Footballing Superstitions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Devil Gang - A Manchester United Fans Forum  :: Football :: General Football-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com